Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Apple Cupcakes!


Okay! So, I'm a child who loves to bake, and I've been a little obsessed with cupcakes ever since I first saw the show Cupcake Wars on the Food Network. I found this recipe on the internet a while back and have been meaning to try it out for months. I finally got around to making these last night, and they were absolutely amazing.


Ingredients:

1-1/4 cups flour*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-3 baking apples, like Fuji or Granny Smith.

 *I ran out of all-purpose flour and ended up using about half cake flour. I don't know if it makes much of a difference.

Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line a cupcake pan with baking liners. Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. Add other ingredients except apples, stir until just combined.
4. Grate your apples with a cheese grater. (Or get whoever is standing around to do it for you. ;]) Stir apples in with everything else.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan until almost full.
6. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, 25-30 minutes.
7. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Makes 12ish cupcakes.

Frosting:

Icing is not an exact science. I tend to just throw things together a little bit at a time until it tastes the way I want it. If that seems intimidating, normal buttercream or cream cheese frosting would probably be great with these cakes. Or, hey, just skip the frosting altogether. They still taste great without it.
 For these cupcakes, I used:
A stick of butter
A few spoonfuls of plain yogurt
A teaspoonish of vanilla
A spoon or two of brown sugar
A few cups of powdered sugar
The end result was a little runny for proper buttercream icing, but I didn't want it to be too sweet. It gets softer at room temperature, and hardens when it's cold. It should be kept in the fridge.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment